Frequently Asked Questions

Teacher Certification

•  Completed grade 12 or equivalent; 
•  Completed 4 years of post-secondary education and hold a bachelor's degree; 
•  Completed a teacher education program comprised of at least 48 semester hours of teacher education that includes an extended practicum;
•  Hold a teaching certificate from the jurisdiction where teacher education was completed (if applicable).

For more details on academic requirements, please see Schedule F of the SPTRB Regulatory Bylaws. 

If you hold a teaching certificate from another Canadian jurisdiction, you will qualify for a Saskatchewan Teacher's Certificate.  In some instances the certificate may be issued as a Provisional Certificate.  See below for more information about Provisional Certificates.

Temporary Teaching Permit

A Temporary Teaching Permit is an emergency license that is issued when an employer is unable to fill a teaching position with a person who holds or qualifies for a teaching certificate.  The application for a Temporary Teaching Permit is made by the employer on behalf of the person they wish to employ as a teacher.  A Temporary Teaching Permit is valid for only the specific classes, school and school year in which it is applied for.  

When Provisional is placed in front of the name of one of the Saskatchewan Teacher's Certificates, it indicates that the certificate is an interim certificate that has certain provisions or conditions associated with it.  Certificates with conditions are issued to teachers who completed their teacher education outside of Canada or who have practice limitations or restrictions associated with a certificate they hold from another Canadian jurisdiction.  The conditions under which Provisional Certificates are issued typically involve the completion of further coursework, in order to fully meet Saskatchewan's Teacher Certification Requirements, or for the successful completion of one year (190 days) of teaching and recommendation of the director of education for permanent certification. 

The most common teaching certificate issued is the Professional "A" Saskatchewan Teacher's Certificate.  This certificate is the one that is earned by the graduates of the Saskatchewan Bachelor of Education programs.  Holders of Professional "A" certificates are permitted to teach all subjects to students in pre-kindergarten through grade twelve.  Information about our other certificates can be found 

Under the Labour Mobility Chapter (Chapter 7) of the Canadian Free Trade Agreement (CFTA), most teachers who hold a permanent teaching certificate from another Canadian jurisdiction will, upon application, receive a permanent Saskatchewan Teacher's Certificate.  The exception is when an applicant holds a certificate upon which there is scope of practice restriction or limitation.  Since Saskatchewan does not have an equivalent certificate to offer these applicants, they are granted a Provisional certificate and are required to complete sufficient coursework to ensure they meet 
Saskatchewan Teacher Certification Requirements. 

Teacher education coursework is undergraduate level coursework similar to that which is taught in the Saskatchewan Bachelor of Education programs through a Faculty of Education.  For example: a mathematics course taught through the College of Arts and Science is not considered teacher education coursework, but a Teaching Mathematics Methodology class taught by the Faculty of Education is a teacher education course.  In most instances, graduate level coursework is not considered to be equivalent to the undergraduate teacher education required for initial teacher certification.  University courses offered through the Ontario College of Teachers' Additional Qualification Program are considered teacher education courses and are equivalent to 6 credit hours of study. 

An approved program or course is granted by a recognized degree-granting institution.  Only coursework completed at a recognized post-secondary institution is acceptable for certification purposes.  In Canada to be recognized, universities must be a member of Universities Canada or have coursework recognized by provincial legislation, such as the Saskatchewan Higher Education Quality Assurance Board In the United States, universities must be accredited by one of the nationally recognized accrediting agencies: MSA (Middle States Commission on Higher Education), NWCCU (The Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities), HLC (Higher Learning Commission), NEASC-CIHE (New England Association of Schools and Colleges - Commission on Institutions of Higher Education), SACS-COC (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools - Commission on Colleges), ACS-WASC (Accrediting Commission for Schools - Western Association of Schools and Colleges).  Visit the U.S. Department of Education website to determine whether an American school is accredited by one of the accrediting agencies mentioned above: Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs in the US

Coursework completed at an institution that is not recognized as a degree-granting institution and accepted for transfer credit at a recognized degree-granting institution is recognized for certification purposes.  If transfer courses appear on the transcript from a recognized institution, the courses are recognized for certification purposes.  

WES assessment results are used to determine institutions outside of North America as recognized degree-granting institutions.

World Education Services (WES) is a member of the Alliance of Credential Evaluation Services of Canada (ACESC).  The SPTRB requires international credentials to be evaulated by WES.  The WES course-by-course evaluation provides the SPTRB with the following information:
•  a verification of authenticity, 
•  a general statement of Canadian equivalency, 
•  a translation of course names into English, 
•  a semester hour conversion for the length of each course,
•  a copy of the transcripts submitted to WES by applicant, 
•  an email notice upon receipt of a request for an evaluation, and 
•  an email version of the completed evaluation.

NOTE:  The WES evaluation is a tool the SPTRB uses when determining an applicant's suitability to hold a Saskatchewan Teacher's Certificate.  WES does not assess whether or not an applicant meets Saskatchewan's Teacher Certification Requirements.  The assessment of whether or not an applicant meets Saskatchewan Teacher's Certification Requirements is conducted by the SPTRB. 

The WES assessment provides a course-by-course evaluation that includes a semester credit hour equivalency calculation.  In Saskatchewan, a teacher's salary classification is determined by the total number of semester hours of post-secondary education the teacher has completed as well as a combination of the degrees and certificates they hold.  The information provided in the WES evaluation will help to assist employers when determining the appropriate salary classification for teachers who have completed post-secondary study outside of Canada.

No, a master's degree is not recognized as an AQC.  Please click here for more information on AQC applications or contact the SPTRB office by phone or email.

Annual Registration

Anyone who holds a position in which a Saskatchewan teacher’s certificate is required for employment must register with the SPTRB.

If you currently do not have an employer, you can select the Other option.  Once you do have an employer, please sign in to your Educator Portal to update your employment information.  You can access this by clicking Profile once you have signed in to your Educator Portal.

Yes, substitute teachers must register with the SPTRB. If needed, you can add multiple employing school divisions to your record under the Employer field. You are not required to provide specific school assignments but you must indicate you are a substitute teacher.

You are not required to register if you are retiring. You may register in order to stay up-to-date and in contact with the SPTRB. However, if you choose to do any substitute teaching, you must be registered.

Anyone who holds a position for which a Saskatchewan teacher's certificate is required for employment, including those on a leave (maternity, parentaly, medical, etc.) must register with the SPTRB. 

If you were certified before October 2015 by the Ministry of Education, your username is your 7-digit teacher’s certificate number. If you were certified after October 2015 by the SPTRB, your username is the email address you entered when you created your SPTRB account. You can request a password reset if you do not remember your password. This will be sent to the email address you entered or the email we have on file for you.

The dates you enter should match the registration year dates: September 1- August 31.

The dates you enter should match the registration year dates: September 1- August 31.

Once you submit your registration application you cannot go back and make any edits to the form. However, you can sign in to your SPTRB Educator Portal at any time to update your contact information, employer or school assignment. Once signed in, click Educators Profile to access this information.

Once your registration renewal has been received and approved (please allow 24 hours for this to occur), there are two ways to check your registration:
1. Your name will appear on the SPTRB
Public Registry
2. A printable Registration Verification card will be available in your Educator Profile > Registration Verification.
Please Note: Your employer and principal will only be notified when you are registered IF YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR EMPLOYER AND SCHOOL on your registration renewal form OR in your Educator Portal.

Email a copy of your name change document (example: marriage certificate) to the SPTRB at Please include your current name, your Saskatchewan Teacher’s Certificate number and the date that your new name came into effect.

The SPTRB requires official transcripts to update your profile. Contact the issuing institution and request an official transcript which verifies the completion of your degree to be sent to the SPTRB.

You will also want to contact your employing division(s) to inquire about any possible reclassification available based on your Master's degree.

The SPTRB Board of Directors has set the Annual Registration fee for the 2019-2020 school year to be $110 plus $5.50 (GST) for a total of $115.50.

The Government of Saskatchewan has funded the SPTRB since its creation in 2015.

 A hallmark of professional regulation is operational and financial independence.  To ensure financial independence members of the profession provide the funds for the organization’s operations, typically through payment of an annual registration fee. 

 As a member of a professionally regulated profession, each registered teacher is responsible for their Annual Registration and for paying (or ensuring their fee is paid) the associated registration fee. 

 The SPTRB operational budget/expenses include wages/benefits for its employees, office space lease, IT and database, meeting expenses, and other expenses typical to a regulatory organization.  Additional financial information can be found in the SPTRB annual report at

The Annual Registration fee is only tax deductible if it is not paid by your employer or if it is not reimbursed to you by your employer.

Payment is not required when completing the Annual Registration form.

 For those who will be paying the Annual Registration fee themselves, you will be issued an invoice and payment instructions no later than October 15, 2019 or shortly after registration if registering after October.  After this date, you can sign into your SPTRB profile and pay online using a credit card.  If you prefer to pay by cheque: make the cheque payable to “SPTRB”; include the full amount of $115.50; and clearly indicate who you are (i.e. name and certificate number or name and date of birth).

The SPTRB Board of Directors has set the Annual Registration fee for the 2019-2020 school year to be $110 plus $5.50 (GST) for a total of $115.50. 

 This amount is the same regardless of when you register.

If you are not employed in the publicly funded provincial school system as either a contract or substitute teacher, then you are responsible for paying for your Annual Registration fee.

A receipt of this payment can be found in your SPTRB profile.

If your Annual Registration fee remains unpaid as of December 15th, your registration will be revoked.  You will be able to re-register; however, the registration fee will be required as part of your re-registration.

If you do not yet have a job and are registering during May through August, you can complete the Annual Registration form which does not include payment.  If you subsequently obtain employment in the publicly funded provincial system before September 30th, you will appear on the school division’s list and the fee will be paid for you by the school division.  If you do not subsequently obtain employment or do so in another educational setting, you will receive an invoice by October 15th and you will be responsible for paying the fee prior to December 15th.


The Professional Conduct Committee (PCC) will review all written complaints regarding professional misconduct or professional incompetence.  If the PCC deems the complaint appropriate for further investigation (i.e. they have appropriate jurisdiction and the complaint isn't frivolous or vexatious), the PCC will investigate the complaint.  Once investigated, the PCC will determine next steps which may include:
     (a) Taking no further action because, in its opinion, no further action is warranted on the facts of the case;
     (b) Recommending a consent resolution process; or
     (c) Determining a formal complaint and recommending that the Discipline Committee hear the formal complaint as set out by the PCC.

Note:  The teacher will be notified in writing that there has been a complaint made against him/her.


No, all inquiries about accreditation should be directed to the Ministry of Education.

Salary Classification

No, requests for classification should be directed to your employing school division(s).